Walton Enterprises is seeking a skilled, highly motivated and entrepreneurial individual to join the team as a Program Officer. The ideal teammate will have the demonstrated ability to make an impact through collaboration and strategy development.
About the Position
You’ll join a top-notch team and be responsible for supporting a Walton family member (the Principal) and their team to plan and execute strategic philanthropy in targeted issue areas and geographies.
As a generalist Program Officer, this position calls for a breadth of knowledge rather than depth in one content area. Most important is an understanding of effective strategies that can be applied across any program area to make intended impact.
What you will do
You will provide philanthropy-related services in support of the Principal’s vision, including program and grant management, impact strategy development, grantee relationship management, grant administration, and impact evaluation.
• Ensure positive outcomes through superior project management; be proactive in anticipating needs, effectively communicate progress, and provide accurate, timely resolution of issues when they arise
• For targeted issue areas, research the outstanding need in focus geographies, refine philanthropy strategies and develop goals for impact. Identify optimal partners for philanthropy support
• Develop and execute strategic grants: conduct due diligence on organizations, their leadership and capacity to carry out programs; define grant terms and expectations; obtain agreement on reasonable outputs and outcomes including how they will be measured and reported; review budgets for appropriate expenditures; conduct site visits; monitor ongoing operations, review financial and narrative reports and ensure timely payments
• Assess the success of grants and their impact, and continuously learn from/improve work based on research, grant results, and work with experts
• Communicate with the Program Officers of other family members to ensure coordinated support across topics and geographies
• Collaborate with departments across Walton Enterprises to provide coordinated support for assigned projects; coordinate with other professionals in HR, Legal, etc. to work through issues and arrive at solutions
• As needed, source and manage outside consultants: develop RFPs, solicit proposals, develop work plans, oversee contracts and ensure high-quality deliverables
• Effectively manage workflow and processes through clear communication that is simple, effective and customized
• Manage other projects and assignments as requested
Who we are looking for
You are a strategic self-starter who is able to tackle complex issues, identify potential philanthropic solutions, and work with others to implement plans, all in service to the Principal and their goals for social impact. You have superior project management and organizational skills and can support multiple projects across topics simultaneously.
Personal attributes that support your success
• Ability to act as a trusted advisor to principals and colleagues while demonstrating expertise and integrity
• You are helpful, a team player, and show respect while collaborating with others
• You are results oriented and exercise sound judgment in your work
• A lifelong learner, who is inquisitive and solves problems with bold thinking and innovation
• A visionary who plans for the future with imagination and wisdom
• You are dedicated to achieving excellence and work with others to tackle the tasks at hand
• Strong orientation for client service; ability to assess and meet the Principal’s goals and preferences. A passion to serve in a way that demonstrates respect and care for family and staff and exceeds expectations
• Intellectual agility and the ability to analyze, think critically, develop strategic approaches, and understand varied areas of interest. Able to effectively synthesize information and glean key points from research as well as interactions with experts
• Comfortable working autonomously but also with a broader team serving the Principal. Able to be flexible and adaptable, comfortable with uncertainty
• Be a self-directed and decisive problem solver who can also be flexible
About the Walton Personal Philanthropy Group
The Walton Personal Philanthropy Group (WPPG) provides services to the family of Sam and Helen Walton to support their individual philanthropic activities. These services for the family and their related entities include program and grant management, strategy consulting and grant administration. WPPG is a part of Walton Enterprises, the family office of the Walton family.
About Walton Enterprises
Walton Enterprises (WEI) is a family office serving the personal and financial needs of multiple generations of the Walton family. Guided by Sam Walton’s values, WEI’s mission is to enable all family members to reach their personal, philanthropic, and business aspirations.
As the family’s wealth grows and a new generation takes on more meaningful roles, WEI is expanding the scope, depth and sophistication of its services, which include wealth management, legal, accounting, tax, risk management/insurance, technology, HR, construction, facilities management, as well as oversight of external resources and services for family members and their related entities. This is an exciting time to be part of this world class team.
Walton Enterprises is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building and maintaining a culturally diverse workplace. We encourage women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status of protected veteran, among other things or status as a qualified individual with a disability.
• Qualifications required for your success
• 4+ years of work in project management, consulting, grant development and management or nonprofit management.
• Bachelor’s degree required
• Ability to build effective relationships and networks to achieve results
• Have proven skills at organization, time management, and exceptional attention to detail
• Ability to anticipate issues and problems in advance and propose possible solutions
• Knowledge of economic, financial and accounting principles (e.g., experience navigating financial statements, an organization’s budget); familiarity reading legal documents
Additional Helpful Experience Includes
• Entrepreneurial or Intrapreneurial experience, taking and managing associated risks
• Business / Finance Experience