We are looking for highly motivated and talented individuals to join one of the leading investment firms in the food and agriculture industry. S2G Ventures (Seed to Growth) is looking for an Analyst to play a role in our venture capital fund. S2G’s Analyst Program offers a unique entry point into the venture capital industry.
Background on S2G Ventures:
S2G Ventures is a multi-stage venture fund investing in food and agriculture primarily focused in the U.S. The fund’s mission is to catalyze innovation to meet consumer demands for healthy and sustainable food. S2G will identify sectors across the food system that are ripe for change, and form a multi-stage portfolio including seed, venture and growth stage investments. Core areas of interest for S2G are agriculture, ingredients, infrastructure and logistics, IT and hardware, food safety and technology, retail and restaurants, and consumer brands. For more information about S2G, visit www.s2gventures.com
What Makes This Opportunity Great:
As an Analyst you will get experience in researching and analyzing nascent markets, evaluating new investments and learning, from the ground-up, how a sector-specific venture capital investor identifies, evaluates, and executes investments in a diverse set of companies. Analysts will have the opportunity to work on projects across the firm, including cross-team collaborative projects such as blog posts and thought leadership projects. Analysts will also have the opportunities to interact with senior members of the firm and S2G Ventures’ portfolio companies.
Analysts are responsible for supporting market and company due diligence and research efforts of the investments team. Analysts will work with the investment team to employ S2G’s investment and operating model to drive investor returns. Over the course of the analyst program, you will evaluate investment opportunities, gain strong industry and business model expertise, and develop your abilities as a venture capital investor.+
Key Responsibilities Include:
The position is designed for an individual who is interested in expanding their knowledge of venture capital investing, the food and agriculture industry, and business operations. Responsibilities will revolve around three primary types of work:
• Market Research and Analysis – Analysts will work with the Investment Team to form industry theses through evaluating and analyzing new market opportunities across food and agriculture. This will include primary and secondary research into industry dynamics, competitive and corporate landscape, emergence of innovation, investment history, and investor rationale. Candidates will require the ability to think critically and articulate view about industries.
• Financial Analysis – Analysts will help analyze complex data sets to identify crucial financial and business information to support the execution of new and follow-on investments, as well as support portfolio company requests. Candidates will need to demonstrate an attention to detail and an interest in building a financial skillset.
• Firm Operations – Analysts will work across the firm and have responsibility around LP reporting and valuation modeling, industry and company data collection, input, and tracking, S2G Ventures’ events, working with external service providers, and providing cross-team support.
You will report to the Investment Team and work closely with the entire S2G team. This is a salaried position working out of our Chicago office.
S2G Ventures is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building and maintaining a culturally diverse workplace that is free of discrimination and harassment of any kind. We encourage women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identify, age, veteran status, or any other status protected by laws and regulations in the locations where we operate.
• Excellent academic record and strong analytical abilities
• Self-starter with a track record of going above and beyond what is asked
• The ability to function equally well in both a team setting and on a self-directed basis
• Interest in the food system and/or sustainability
• Intellectual curiosity and desire to continually learn and challenge oneself
• High integrity and honesty
• Strong Excel and PowerPoint skills
• An ability to build and maintain good relationships with colleagues, partners, and entrepreneurs
• Optional: Work experience with exposure to investing, for instance, with a start-up, leading tech, food or ag company, management consultancy or investment bank