We are looking for a talented attorney who wants to be part of a dynamic team that is working to fundamentally change our world through philanthropy and impact investing.
The successful candidate can work out of our office in San Francisco or Chicago.
About Walton Enterprises
Walton Enterprises supports the personal, philanthropic and business activity for the Walton family. We are a family-led organization, supporting multiple generations of Sam & Helen Walton’s family.
The family office is seeking a skilled, motivated, entrepreneurial, and collaborative attorney to serve as a member of its in-house legal team. This attorney will provide legal support for all of the family office’s philanthropic activities. The family office employs an “impact first, tool second” approach to philanthropy and works through a variety of entities, including private foundations, donor advised funds, and limited liability companies, to drive maximum impact within each of its program areas.
This position offers competitive compensation based on qualifications, comprehensive benefits, paid holidays, and generous PTO. This is a unique and exciting opportunity to be part of a rapidly growing organization that seeks to have a lasting, positive impact on the world.
• Advise philanthropic teams on laws applicable to private foundations, public charities, and social welfare organizations, including IRS lobbying, self-dealing and campaign intervention rules
• Advise on, and review and negotiate agreements and other documents related to, philanthropic activities including grants, gifts, program-related investments, mission-related investments, impact Advise principals, philanthropic teams, and board members regarding the appropriate funding source for various philanthropic activities
• Prepare, review, and negotiate contracts, licenses, leases, and other legal documents
• Develop and conduct legal and regulatory training for philanthropic teams and board members
• Provide support for corporate governance activities, including participating in board meetings, drafting board and committee resolutions, and preparing board and committee minutes and reports
• Provide legal support for broader family office on an as-needed basis
Personal Attributes and Characteristics
• A professional demeanor with demonstrated ability to maintain discretion in dealing with highly confidential information
• Being an effective builder of relationships and networks, gaining trust and achieving results in a collaborative environment
• Having a curious, solutions-oriented mindset when working with principals, foundation team members and business partners
• Knowing which stakeholders to incorporate into different projects and when to bring in outside counsel
• Demonstrating a willingness to roll up one’s sleeves and drive results through one’s own efforts without a big team
• Being able to juggle multiple tasks and prioritize based on the impact on organizational goals
• Exercising excellent judgment, especially when it comes to managing and mitigating risk
• Being a superior communicator who treats everyone with respect
• Possessing unquestionable ethics and personal integrity
Please note this position description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the associate in this position. Duties, responsibilities and activities may evolve or change over time.
Walton Enterprises is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building and maintaining a culturally diverse workplace that is free of discrimination and harassment of any kind. We encourage women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, veteran status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate.
• J.D. from an accredited law school
• License to practice law in at least one state
• At least 8 years of experience as a philanthropic/tax exempt organizations attorney, preferably including experience at both a well-respected law firm and either a private foundation or family office
• Proficiency with grantmaking, program-related investments, mission-related investments, and other impact investments
• Detailed knowledge of the rules and regulations governing private foundations and public charities