Who We Are
The goal of The Whole Health Institute is to make integrative health and wellness accessible to all communities. The Institute works to incorporate current research and best practice on integrative health into mainstream medicine.
The Institute strives to be the conduit for all stakeholders working on integrative health (academic researchers, medical schools, technology trailblazers, health and wellness experts). The Institute defines integrative health as including mental health, meditation, yoga, nutrition, exercise, consciousness, as well as the best approaches in medical care and enhancement of wellness.
The Institute aims to spur innovative thinking about health and health care delivery in order to dramatically transform the medical industry. A truly integrative approach to medicine would mean that medical delivery would be holistic, proactive, and coordinated (not reactive and disjointed as it is today) and individuals would be active participants in managing their own health.
As the Institute will be in Northwest Arkansas, the Institute will pilot much of its work in the region. The Institute will explore how Northwest Arkansas can serve as a microcosm for effective adoption of integrative health and wellbeing practices, with the goal of developing models that can be replicated elsewhere. This will include the creation of an integrative health clinic in Northwest Arkansas.
Reporting to the Senior Director of Health Sector Finance & Policy, the Health Information Specialist will play a key role in developing the methodology for both data driven operational refinement and health policy development support. The Specialist will work in collaboration with other Institute teams and other designated organizations, as needed.
What You Will Do
The Health Information Specialist will collaborate in the development of informatics solutions and support population health initiatives that transform healthcare via data science and big data analytics. This position will interface with diverse systems and develop methodologies to extract and analyze cost, utilization and biometric data. This position will be responsible for leveraging the information in HM enterprise data warehouses, Epic® electronic medical record and aggregate national representative datasets. Responsibilities may also include implementing advanced data processing applications to identify potentially anomalous data, developing algorithms within production healthcare IT systems. Additionally, this position will:
• Work with the HSFP Director to formulate structured queries to extract and format data from client databases and public domain datasets in support of operational, financial and regulatory analyses
• Build systems to transform raw data from multiple sources into actionable organizational insights (patient population health and operational) that interface with clinical electronic health record systems as well as housing of other national datasets
• Deliver updates as needed to Senior Leadership on team progress, identifying obstacles and opportunities to ensure goals and objectives are met
• Use OLAP technologies along with knowledge of data warehouse/data marts to write SQL queries and retrieve data from relational databases
• Work with diverse stakeholders (leadership, clinical staff, institutional grants, finance, data team) to ensure timely completion and accurate execution of internal data requests
• Preparing data for analysis and conducting data analyses with minimal assistance
The Whole Health Institute is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building and maintaining a culturally diverse workplace. We encourage women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status of protected veteran, among other things or status as a qualified individual with a disability.
Requirements for the role:
The successful candidate will be an analytical thinker with a track record of managing multiple projects with limited supervision. The individual will have energy, intellectual capacity, strategic business acumen and professional integrity. They will have a proven track record of being able to create and implement big data management strategies and perform complex analysis on evolving data sets. The ideal background includes:
• 5+ years of experience working in a healthcare or health industry environment;
• Strong experience in SQL with the ability to write complex queries;
• Proven track record of researching, organizing, analyzing, and synthesizing data to support effective decision making;
• Working knowledge of Epic® applications and Clarity® database structure;
• Intermediate to advanced statistical and analytic skills and knowledge of research methods and design, data collection, and analysis;
• Experience using MS Excel, R, and SQL; familiarity with business intelligence tools (e.g. Tableau, Power BI, SAS, SQL Server Management Studio 2014, SSIS);
• Knowledge of the current EHR/AI field and major software products;
• Experience with MS tools (e.g., Excel, Project, Visio, Access);
• Knowledge of national, state, and local surveillance data and/or surveys;
• Knowledge on clinical data quality issues and assurance as well as patient privacy and data security and compliance;
• Knowledge of comparable cloud-based services for enterprise content management (ECM);
• Excellent writing, speaking ability, and strong interpersonal communication skills, including the ability to explain methodology and findings in lay terms;
• Demonstrated ability to work with multi-disciplinary teams to define system requirements and understand business reporting needs;
• Ability to work independently and collaboratively;
• Ability to manage time, to set priorities and to work under time constraints
• Epidemiological and bio-statistical principles and methods experience desired, including but not limited to: simple descriptive statistics, single and multiple linear regression analysis
• Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, MIS, or related discipline or an equivalent combination of education and relevant experience.
• Epic® certification (clinical and financial) for the Epic data model implemented in Clarity® and Caboodle® is required.