The Director of Development provides strategic and operational management of the private giving efforts of Heartland Forward. The director works collaboratively with the staff and board leadership to secure philanthropic support that advances the institution’s vision and mission. Of primary importance are transformational gifts that address issues related to the four pillars of focus for Heartland Forward – innovation and entrepreneurship, human capital, health and wellness and regional competitiveness.
This position will report to Heartland Forward’s Chief Communications and Development Officerin driving the agenda of Heartland Forward.
• Ensures fund raising efforts reflect the organization’s values, mission, vision and plans.
• Working in collaboration with leadership and board members, develops and proposes strategies for solicitation of gifts, including: identifying donor prospects; recommending specific purpose and level of gift; identifying those to be involved in cultivation and subsequent solicitation; assuring the execution of solicitations; and maintaining appropriate stewardship plans.
• Oversees initiatives to secure annual gifts for research, programs, events and other projects.
• Actively manages a major donor portfolio requiring personal contact and extensive travel.
• Oversees the design and management of donor records, proposals, recognition program, reporting and other related processes.
• Plans, develops, implements and manages assigned budget and allocation of assigned resources.
• Ensures compliance with all relevant regulations and laws, maintains accountability standards to donors and ensures compliance with code of ethical principles and standards of conduct for fundraising professionals.
• Stays informed of best practices in the field of non-profit fundraising.
About Heartland Forward
Heartland Forward's mission is to improve economic performance in the center of the United States by advocating for fact-based solutions to foster job creation, knowledge-based and inclusive growth and improved health outcomes. We conduct independent, data-driven research to facilitate action-oriented discussion and impactful policy recommendations.
Heartland Forward is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building and maintaining a culturally diverse workplace. We encourage women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status of protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with a disability.
Who we are looking for
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution of higher learning
• Proven record of professional ethics related to the practice of private gift fundraising and/or program management related to high-wealth individuals
• Ability to create and manage small and large events
• Ability to navigate and use relational data base including gift management systems, prospect tracking, and the creation and management of reports
• Willingness to travel up to 60%; willingness to work some nights and weekends
• Excellent writing skills and computer skills, especially with Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
• Experience with communications in a public and one on one setting
• Ability to analyze and summarize data efficiently and compellingly
• Independent worker and a team player
Additional Helpful Experience Includes
• 7-10 years major gift development and management experience preferred
• Experience in relational data systems helpful
• Membership in a professional fundraising association such as Association of Fundraising Professionals